This article has compiled a list of some of the best methods to install and play Minecraft on the Chromebook. So, if you’re wondering how to play Minecraft on Chromebook, follow along with us! Minecraft is a popular game loved globally by gamers of all ages. The game uniquely blends creativity, out-of-the-box thinking, survival elements, and RPG.
You can create, destroy and mold your environment as you want and explore the vast world of Minecraft. The possibilities are endless, and the only thinking stopping you in Minecraft is your imagination. If you can imagine it, you can create and experience it in Minecraft.
The game is available on various platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, and the best consoles. However, even after all this time, Minecraft does not have official support on the Chromebook. To play Minecraft on the Chromebook, you will have to apply a few tricks and perform some additional steps.
Table of Contents
How To Play Minecraft On Chromebook – Steps To Follow
Before we begin, it should be noted that you need Android or Linux support on your Chromebook to play Minecraft. The latest Java edition of Minecraft requires Linux support to be enabled on your computer. However, you can still enjoy the Classic Minecraft game in the browser without any authorisation from the administrator for school-issued Chromebooks.
Also Read: Best Things to Build in Minecraft
1. Install Minecraft Education Edition (Play Store Required)
The Minecraft Education Edition for Chromebook was introduced to boost creativity, logic building, collaboration and problem-solving skills among the younger audience. This edition primarily targets students who want to enjoy the popular game on their Chromebook. However, you will still need your school administrator to enable Google Play, as the game is available on the Play Store as an Android app. In order to install the Education Edition, follow the steps mentioned below.
1. On your Chromebook, open the Settings page and turn on Google Play Store. This will allow you to leverage the Google Play Store on your Chromebook to install Android apps.
2. Search for Minecraft: Education Edition on the Play Store and install the game. Ad just like that, you are good to go!
Do note that students have ten free logins. After that, you will have to buy a subscription. You will have to use your school account to log in to Minecraft and enjoy the Education Edition. We hope this helped you answer the question of how to play Minecraft on Chromebook.
2. Install Minecraft: Java Edition (Linux Support Required)
If you’re wondering how to play Minecraft on Chromebook and enjoy the latest 1.19 update, then follow this method. In order for this to work, you must have Linux support enabled on your Chromebook.
1. For starters, we must ensure that Linux support is enabled on the Chromebook. Open “Settings” and click on “Advanced” in the left pane. Click on “Developers” on the expanded menu.
2. Click on “Turn on” next to the “Linux development environment (Beta)” section in the “Developers” menu.
3. Next, you need to open the Linux Terminal. Press the search key on the keyboard and type “Terminal”. You can also use the “App Drawer” and look for “Terminal” under “Linux apps”.
4. Update your Linux to the latest build by running the following command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
5. Once the update is complete, visit the official Minecraft website and download the Minecraft.deb file (Debian/Ubuntu).
6. Move the file to the “Linux files” section inside the Files app.
7. Double-click on the downloaded file and click on the “Install” button to install Minecraft on your Chromebook.
8. Once installation is complete, press the Search key on the keyboard and search for “Minecraft”. You can also use the “App Drawer” and look for “Minecraft Launcher” under “Linux apps”.
9. Open the “Minecraft Launcher” and log in with your Mojang or Microsoft account.
10. Click on the “Play Demo” button at the bottom to start downloading the latest release and install the update. The app will automatically restart once the installation is complete. In case it does not restart automatically, you will have to open the “Minecraft Launcher” manually, as explained in Step 8, and you are good to go!
Some additional tips:
– Now that Minecraft has been installed on your Chromebook, you can start playing by clicking on the “Play Demo World” option. The game works perfectly fine with WASD key controls and mouse controls. However, we recommend adjusting the sensitivity to ensure a smooth and jitter-free experience. To do so, go to “Options -> Mouse Settings” and change the sensitivity to “Hyperspeed”.
– To lock the mouse pointer while playing Minecraft on Chromebook, enable the flag below. You must copy and paste it into the address bar of the Chrome browser and hit Enter. Enable the flag via the drop-down menu and restart your Chromebook for the changes to take effect.
– If you run into any errors during the installation, we recommend installing the Java Development Kit. To do this, open the “Terminal” app from the App Drawer and run the following Linux command:
sudo apt-get install default-jdk -y
Once this is done, follow the above steps starting from Step 5 to install Minecraft on your Chromebook. We hope this helped clear your doubt about how to play Minecraft on Chromebook.
3. Play Classic Minecraft From A Web Browser
If you’re still wondering how to play Minecraft on Chromebook, then we have the most simple and convenient method. You can enjoy the classic version of Minecraft on the Chromebook using any web browser. That’s right! Mojang Studios has released the classic version of the game on the web for everyone to enjoy. Even though the features of the classic mode are somewhat limited, and it has a very old-school interface, it is a fun gaming experience nonetheless. The classic version will take you on a nostalgia trip back to 2009.
A major upside of the classic version is that WASD control works in the browser, and the game has negligible lag issues. The game also has a multiplayer mode where you can invite up to 9 players. To play the Minecraft Classic on your Chromebook, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Open the Google Chrome browser.
2. Open classic.minecraft.net and hit Enter.
3. To experience the multiplayer mode, you can share the link with your friends, pick a username, and get rolling!
In the classic version, you have only 32 blocks to build with, but the simplicity and convenience of the version more than make up for it.
4. Install Minecraft using PojavLauncher
For ARM-based and x86-based Chromebooks, you will need to install PojavLauncher to play Minecraft on Chromebook. You will need to enable Google Play Store, as mentioned in Step 1. Open the Google Play Store and search for PojavLauncher and install it. PojavLauncher will download and install the files needed to run Minecraft on your ARM-based Chromebook.
(Note: Make sure you grant the necessary storage permissions to PojavLauncher.)
That concludes our guide on how to play Minecraft on Chromebook. Minecraft is popular for its versatility, quirky graphics and fun multiplier experience, among many other reasons. The game continues rising in popularity thanks to its constant exciting updates and strong community support. By following the steps mentioned in our guide, you can enjoy Minecraft on your Chromebook with your friends and family.
The classic version and the Education edition of Minecraft are good for students who want to start the game. Linux Support is mandatory for the more hardcore gamers who want to play the fully-fledged Java Edition. You can install Steam on Chromebook and enjoy various games due to Linux Support, but that’s a topic for discussion for another day.
Do you enjoy playing Minecraft? What aspect of the game do you enjoy the most? Do you play the Survival Mode or the Classic or Adventure Mode? Do you know of any other methods to play Minecraft on Chromebook? Let us know in the comments below!